Today’s spotlight feautures one of our newest recruits, Gemma Uprichard, who has joined Clearbox on a year-long placement. Let’s get to know Gemma a little better, but note to self: never get in a dance battle with her and never offer her a cup of tea. You can elaborate on that, Gemma. Take it away!
Hi everyone! I'm Gemma, and I'm excited to dive a bit deeper into my journey here at Clearbox during my industry placement year.
As a 21-year-old marketing student at Ulster University, the opportunity to explore the world of PR is most definitely an exciting experience.
When I reflect on my post-school plans, I had a myriad of career options floating in my mind, from pursuing a career in the performing arts to studying law – quite the contrast. It was a tough decision, but eventually, I found my calling in marketing, and little did I know this choice would lead me to the fascinating world of PR and communications.
My interest in PR truly sparked when my older sister landed a job right here at Clearbox. Before officially starting my placement, I had the privilege of meeting the team on a few occasions. During the month of November 2022, I spent my Fridays interning at the office, immersing myself in the dynamic environment and the infamous pancake Fridays! These initial interactions solidified my passion for a career in PR and my fondness for Clearbox and the team.
As a new member of the team, I, along with Ciara, was invited to a Clearbox night a couple of months ago, and let me tell you… our karaoke initiation, featuring the absolute classic "Before He Cheats," definitely made me feel more comfortable with the team and I’m sure all girls can agree that screaming your lungs out to Carrie Underwood is a universal bonding experience!
A bit more about me then…
Dance has been my lifelong love affair. From ballet to tap, lyrical to modern, contemporary to hip-hop - I've been grooving through life since the tender age of six. Dancing is not just a hobby; it's a part of my identity… cringe, I know but nevertheless very true.
Since leaving the womb back in 02’ my dad’s main goal in life was to brainwash me into loving the ‘beautiful’ game of football as much as he does. At the age of 21, I unfortunately must admit he’s been successful. While my weekdays are occupied with work and dancing, my weekends are dedicated to cheering for my favourite team, my beloved Dollybirds.
I could go on and on, but I feel like you might get to know me a bit better from the following fun facts.
· I’m a Leo-Virgo cusp (astrology girlies, if you know you know).
· I am a proud stem cell donor - if you want to save a life, go visit AnthonyNolan.org.
· My favourite colour is orange, and I’m very passionate about it.
· I hate pizza (everyone seems surprised by this one for some reason?).
· The only bone I’ve ever broken is my nose (thank you, dancing).
Since joining Clearbox, I’ve gathered that everyone is slightly music obsessed and I have to say - I love it! So, I thought I’d share my top five all-time favourite songs with everyone:
1. Come on Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners – a complete classic, that is all.
2. Travellin’ Soldier by the Dixie Chicks – completely self-explanatory.
3. Before he cheats by Carrie Underwood – somewhere in my past life I think I’ve been scorned, because I sing this with every ounce of passion in my body
4. Dancing Queen by Abba – I decided a long time ago this will be the theme tune to the movie made of my life which will also star Mila Kunis as me. Executive decision.
5. Tell Me Ma by Sham Rock – for someone who has never put a pair of Irish dancing shoes on in her life, I put on the performance of a lifetime when this song comes on.
And yes, they are in order.
Another thing I’ve quickly realised about the team at Clearbox is that they love a good debate – so,I thought I’d provide some new material to discuss with my unpopular opinions (that I’m sure to get slated for when they read this):
· Beyonce is overrated.
· Public proposals are cringe (no restaurants please).
· Watermelon is not good- like, not at all.
· Fake Christmas trees are better than real ones.
· Christmas Eve is better than Christmas day.
· Hot drinks are too hot (I need ice please).
But anyway, that’s enough about me!
I'm absolutely thrilled to be part of the amazing Clearbox team, and I can't wait to see what the year has in store for me. My journey kicked off with the incredible experience of helping at a Sky Premiere in my first week, and I must say, it's going to be a tough act to follow.
Nevertheless, I have faith that this year will be filled with memorable moments and invaluable lessons from fantastic people that will stay with me for a lifetime. Stay tuned for more updates on my exciting PR adventure!