Can travel help your career? We think so. Here’s Claire Hamilton on how booking that long overdue holiday can be just the ticket to a career power boost.
As an American living abroad, I am no stranger to the benefits of international travel. Stepping off the plane to an entirely different country can be nerve-racking, but it can also be one of the most rewarding experiences.
It’s often said that travel is one of the only costs that makes you richer. I couldn’t agree more. It gives you an opportunity to meet new people, try new things, gain a new perspective and think on your feet. These are all experiences that can easily be applied to your career and professional development.
I recently returned from an incredible honeymoon to Tanzania and Zanzibar. While traveling to these countries took me over 7,000 miles away from my work at Clearbox, I couldn’t help but think how my new experiences could be applied to my job back home.
Why do I think that travel can be just the ticket to giving your career and skill-set a power boost?
1) Change of perspective – Travelling allows you to see the world through a new lens. You are exposed to an entirely different way of thinking and you get real life experience, which is something that you can’t always get by sitting at a laptop all day.
2) Cultural Competency – It is refreshing to be in a place that does something completely different from what you think to be normal. From trying new foods, learning small parts of a new language or reading up on the local history, it’s a great chance to understand a new culture and way of life.
3) Problem-Solving – We’ve all had those panic moments when travelling – lost baggage, cancelled flights, taking a wrong turn or, even worse, theft. These are all important moments when you have to think quickly and come to a solution to get you out of these tricky situations.
4) Meet New People – This is probably my favourite part of travelling. I love striking up conversations with new people and the potential of making new friends. On our honeymoon, we met so many interesting people from different countries. From our Safari tour guides to the couples lounging by the pool, the conversations we had are some of my most treasured memories from the trip.
5) Refresh Button – Travel is also great for giving yourself a bit of a reboot. It is so important to give yourself a break sometimes and enjoy the world around you.
I hope this convinces you to take that long overdue holiday. And, as the end of the year approaches and you think about your New Year’s resolutions, why not add more travel to that list?